One of the things that both of these businesses do well, is offering attendees the chance to sign up for their events in advance. I’m admittedly not the most organized person. Being able to sign up and receive reminders prior to the event, helps make sure I never miss a chance to attend. It also provides benefits to the business, because they can stay organized and make sure they are prepared for the event. This is just one part of what makes their events so successful. To help you plan, promote, and run more successful events, we compiled a list of 50 helpful resources. Whether you’re planning your first small business event, or are looking to get more from your upcoming events — this list can help. We’ve organized these resources into categories to help you quickly find the information you need to succeed. Planning your event Making your event a success, starts with coming up with the right plan. You don’t want to commit to hosting an event, until you understand all of the things that need to be done to make it successful. Here are a few resources to help with your event planning:
1. Are You Ready for Event Season? 2. When the Price of Free is too High 3. How to Reach and Teach Through Educational Events 4. 7 Events You Can Run to Grow Your Business Right Now 5. Things You Don’t Want to “Overlook” When Planning Your Next Event! 6. Consider the Five Ws for Your Next Event 7. Event Planning Tips for Small Businesses 8. Event Planning: How to Set Your Event Up for Success [Speakeasy Podcast #31]
Promoting your Event To create a successful event campaign, you need to come up with a strategy that incorporates your different marketing channels — like email, social media, mobile and web. For a lot of small businesses, event promotion will start with email, which you can use to send invitations, save the dates, reminders, and event follow-ups. But you’ll also want to level your different social channels, to generate buzz and get people talking about your event. Then, there are things like online event directories which will help you reach potential attendees with very little work. Use these resources to help you create a more effective promotional plan for your next event:
9. How to Build Excitement for Your Event 10. 6 Ways to Promote Your Next Event 11. 5 Easy Steps to Get More Guests for Your Event 12. 3 Tips For Designing The Perfect Event Invitation 13. Be Our Guest! 5 Tips for a Better Event Email Invitation 14. 6 Reasons Why Your Next Event Needs a Homepage 15. How a #Hashtag Can Help You Graduate to More Social Events 16. How to Create a Hashtag to Build Engagement at Your Event 17. Event Promotion: How to Get the Most Out of Social Media [Speakeasy #33] 18. How to Promote Your Event for Maximum Exposure and Attendance [Speakeasy Podcast #32] 19. Event Directories Give You Something for Nothing 20. Events on the Go: Make Your Next Fundraiser Mobile Friendly 21. 7 Ways to Promote Your Events with Video
Managing event registrations Online event registration tools have really changed the way small businesses think about running events. While in the past, running an event meant spending hours keeping track of phone calls and managing a guest list by hand — today, you have the ability to manage all of your information in one place. Use these resources to perfect the online registration experience:
22. 10 Reasons for Collecting Registrations for Your Next Event Online 23. 7 Reasons Why You Should Be Using an Online Event Management Tool 24. Value of Capturing Demographic Data During Event Registration 25. Are You Offering a Memorable Experience Before, During, and After Your Event? 26. A Simple Strategy for Asking the Right Questions Before Your Next Event 27. How Collecting the Right Information Can Make a World of Difference at Your Next Event 28. 10 Ways to Ensure a Smooth Online Event Registration Process
Making sure everything runs smoothly When you’re doing everything right to get people to your event, the last thing you want is for something to go wrong at your event to damage the experience. While unexpected setbacks are bound to occur, there‘s no reason for easy-to-avoid problems to stand in the way of making your event a success. Consider these resources when finalizing event details:
29. How You “Sound” Can Make or Break Your Event! 30. Event Tech Tips for Small Businesses and Nonprofits 31. How to Give Your Event Guests the Celebrity Treatment 32. Death to Stupid Black Lines on Your Projection Screen 33. How Green Should You Make Your Event? 34. Unlocking the Secrets of Event Lighting 35. 6 Ways to Save Money on Event Entertainment 36. Event Certificates of Insurance: How to Avoid Getting Covered In You Know What 37. Small Event Budget? Get Smarter About Your Design Choices
Following up and collecting feedback You did it! You planned the most successful event of the season; you promoted it effectively, filled the room, and delivered a memorable event experience. Guess what? You’re job isn’t done yet. Now, you need to follow up with attendees to see how things went. For some events, you might want to collect feedback with an online survey. For other events, your follow-up may be as simple as sharing photos on social media, or creating new content about the event experience. Consider these resources for completing the event process:
38. 5 Ways to Develop Social Media Content In Between Your Events 39. 3 Ways to Get Attendees to Come Back to Your Next Event 40. Pardon My Eavesdropping, But Are You Enjoying My Event? 41. Event Feedback: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly — It’s All Critical to Your Success!
Event success stories Now that you have the resources you need to make your event a success, you can gain inspiration from other business owners who have used events to grow their business.
42. How a New Business Created a Marketing Strategy and Climbed to Success 43. Three Steps to Hosting the Biggest Industry Conference in Three Years 44. Getting 3,000 Guests with a $4,000 Marketing Budget 45. This Bookstore Uses Online Registration to Let the Wild Rumpus Start 46. A Harlem Mom Schedules Playdates for 200 47. How Nonprofits Can Boost Volunteer Attendance by 50% 48. How One Store Made Wine Tastings a Little Less Stressful 49. Manage Your Event Like a Pro — It’s All About the Details! 50. How to Market Your Networking Event the Right Way